The Building Department is responsible for issuing building permits, providing inspectional services, enforcing the historic preservation ordinance, and provides support for the Planning and Zoning commission. Building permit applications and permit requirements can be received online, picked up at Village Hall Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. or you can call 847-426-2822 for more information.
Additionally, work such as painting, decorating, flooring and window replacement do not require permits, all other improvements require a permit. The Village provides printed specification sheets for the most common improvements, such as decks, driveways, fences, pools, roofs, sheds, and unattached garages, and are available online along with code and fee information. After the permit is issued, the contractor needs to schedule on-site inspections at specific stages of construction, a minimum 24 hours in advance. Residents and contractors need to remember that permit fees may double when work is started without a permit. Building permits and inspections are enforced to ensure that all residences and buildings within the Village meet minimum local and national safety standards. This protects the investments that you make in your home.
Building Codes Currently Adopted By The Village
- 2006 - International Building Code with Amendments
- 2006 - International Residential Code with Amendments
- 2006 - International Mechanical Code with Amendments
- 2006 - International Fuel Gas Code
- 2018 - International Energy Conservation Code as Amended by the State of Illinois / 2018 Illinois Energy Conservation Code
- 2006 - International Fire Code
- 2006 - International Property Maintenance Code with Amendments
- 2006 - ICC Electrical Code (Administrative Provisions)
- 2005 - National Electrical Code with Amendments
- 2014 - Illinois State Plumbing Code
- 2018 - Illinois Accessibility Code