Complaint or Commendation

Through the year, members of the East Dundee Police Department handle a variety of calls and have numerous contacts with the public. In some of those instances, individuals may feel a member of the East Dundee Police Department treated them unfairly or were treated unprofessionally. If you feel this occurred, you may contact the East Dundee Police Department and ask to speak with the on-duty shift supervisor.

The supervisor will listen to your complaint and may attempt to resolve the complaint informally over the phone, or in person. We have found an explanation of the circumstances surrounding the call is enough to settle many situations. If the supervisor is unable to satisfy the caller or, at the recommendation of the supervisor, they may request you file a Formal Complaint. A Formal Complaint is a written statement surrounding the facts of the incident, identifying any potential witnesses and is a sworn statement once filed and properly notarized. Under Illinois Law, a Formal Complaint must be supported by a Sworn Affidavit (50 ILCS 725/3.8(b). Anyone who knowingly files a false complaint against a police officer or other employee of the department may be subject to criminal charges or even possibly a civil suit.

There are several ways to file a complaint or a commendation report on an East Dundee Police Department officer:
By Form - Download and complete a printable Police Complaint or Commendation Form.

Mail your Police Complaint or Commendation Form to:
East Dundee Police Department
Attn: Deputy Chief Stewart
115 E. Third Street
East Dundee, IL 60118
or Hand-deliver your Police Complaint or Commendation Form to the Police Department.

Report in Person at the Police Department.

Report by Telephone  by calling (847) 428-4034 and ask for the on-duty supervisor.

What happens when a complaint is filed?
Once a complaint is filed, it will be forwarded to the Deputy Chief of Police who will then assign it for investigation. The Deputy Chief of Police will generate a letter or email to you, indicating the investigator assigned to the investigation and an Internal Affairs report number. You will be kept informed of the status of your complaint and the eventual outcome. If the complaint is found to be true (sustained), the department member may be disciplined at the discretion of the Chief of Police and Board of Police Commission, up to and including termination of employment.